Re: ORACLE*CASE in 7.1

From: Dave Easeman <easemand_at_x500.bt.co.uk>
Date: 20 Feb 95 17:31:47 GMT

Simon Stow <sstow_at_uk.oracle.com> wrote:

> > jenseng_at_cadvision.com (Gord Jensen) wrote:
> > >
> > CASE 5.0 only supports version 6 design, CASE 5.1 supports ORACLE 7. CASE 5.0 is a forms 3
> > interface, CASE 5.1 is Forms 4. As I understand it, if you have a full support licence for
> > CASE, you can upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 without additional cost. However, Oracle are putting
> > their development effort into MS windows; 5.1 has been production on MS windows since May '95.
> > It was also suppose to be production on UNIX then as well; I have recently been told here in
> > UK that for Sun, CASE 5.1 will now not be production until May '96!!!
> >

> Er no. I don't believe that is correct. CASE 5.1.8 on Sun is due for
> production on Sun soon, and most certainly in 1995. I do not
> think that Oracle Uk have introduced any new procedures that would
> delay the release for more than the 12 months you suggest.

OK, so I added a year here or there; I blame it on the total confusion caused by the many dates I have been given since the 'firm' production date of May 1994.

Can anyone in Oracle now give a 'firm' date on when CASE 5.1 will be available on Sun? A few weeks ago I was told 'May 1995', last Friday I was told 'We cannot give a firm date'. Simon says, 'soon, certainly 1995'!!! Well, I have been given so many dates since May 1994 that I now believe it will never make an appearance.

We have a beta copy on site as this was offered as an interim alternative. We have had many problems trying to install it. Talking to another site who are in the same situation, and they tell a similar story. My faith that Oracle will ever get this right has totally disappeared.

So I ask again; can someone in Oracle give a definite answer? Also, some explanation as to the horrific delays and problems would be nice; email a response please? Received on Mon Feb 20 1995 - 18:31:47 CET

Original text of this message