Re: Forms 4.5 requirements ?

From: Paul Berger <pberger_at_nic.hookup.net>
Date: 16 Feb 1995 12:56:27 -0500

In article <D3ztoG.10H_at_info.uucp>, Daryl Erwin <derwin_at_mach2.wlu.ca> wrote:
>In article <3hqb64$nsm_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu> mrife_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu (Michael Rife) writes:

 ...stuff deleted

>>>I have a 486 33mhz, with 8M RAM. Oracle 7 with Forms 4.5 is a DOG. It is
>>>not usable. The harddrive continuously runs. It takes about 5 minutes
>>>for the designor to just start. I can run the Othello demo without the
>>>database running, but that is about it. Guess it is time for more memory.
>>>
>>I guess that it is the same as usual, if I spend some money on more hardware
>>I will be able to use my software.
>
>Okay if you can't say it then I will....
>
>I have Forms 4.0 with PO7 and 20Megs of memory. It runs like a dog
>and is unusable.
>
>And to think we wont be able to do development on are Sequent in Forms 4. & up.
>
>I feel like we've been left in the cold.
>PS. And how does everyone feel about replacing $150 terminals with $5000+
>workstations that need to be upgraded yearly....?

...time to get a serious O/S...like OS/2...you will need the Oracle7 database, SQL*VDM and your windozed based CDE2 tools...

This all works fine on our 486 24MB, 400MB IBM PS/2 machines....Oracle7 Server is multi tasked and each window session is virtualized. Forget windows for serious development!

PB
Berger Software Received on Thu Feb 16 1995 - 18:56:27 CET

Original text of this message