Space problems using version 7.0.16 imp, exp

From: Gary Thompson <garyt_at_lgc.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 1995 04:57:00 GMT

I'm seeing something unusual with with the importer in Oracle 7.0.16 that I hadn't seen previously with version 7.0.13. I've been able to duplicate it while running 7.0.16 on SunOS 4.1.x, Solaris 2.3 & 2.4, and AIX 3.2.5p.

When I import a dump file and specify the same value for TOUSER and FROMUSER, I can periodically check the objects in the tablespace and notice a temporary object that appears to be created as a result of indexing a table. The objects are named <file number>.<block number>, i.e. 8.2205, 8.2292, etc. Once complete, that object is removed (presumably by SMON) and a new one is present for the the table currently being indexed.

However, when I import a dump file and specifiy a TOUSER that is different from the FROMUSER, it seems that none of these temporary objects get cleaned up until *long* after the import is complete. The result is that I have to create a tablespace more than 2x as large as the data held in it, significantly larger than than I otherwise would have.

This never seemed to happen using version 7.0.13 and also doesn't happen when using 7.0.13 dump files and the 7.0.16 importer (I noticed the 7.0.13 exp didn't generate explicit index storage parameters in it's dump files).

This is causing us quite a bit of grief. If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be most grateful.

Sincerely,

        Gary Thompson

--
Gary Thompson,	Landmark Graphics Corporation  (garyt_at_lgc.com)
		#include <std/disclaimer.h>