Re: Oracle's Masters Program: App Developer or DBA?? (need advice please)

From: David Scott <dscott_at_is.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 1995 23:53:23 -0500

In article <3h5n6n$6o8_at_lastactionhero.rs.itd.umich.edu>, ab831_at_detroit.freenet.org (Chuck Williams) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the opportunity to become an Oracle master. My problem
> is determining which "track" to pursue. After reading
> the course material, I would equally enjoy both the DBA and
> Application Developer courses. Additionally, my job will involve
> both administration and application development, so that doesn't
> help my decision...
>
> Using current and future industry demand as criterion for
> selecting a curriculum, which one would you choose??
>
> Are the pay scales equivalent??
>
> Any insight would be appreciated,

I was in exactly the same predicament last year; I chose the DBA track. It seems the pay scales are a bit higher, and more jobs are out there. My other programming experience (5 years) is sufficient for me to be able to develop front ends to Oracle, so the server side seemed more interesting to me. Also, the opportunity for advancement in my present company was available on the DBA side.

Best wishes in your decision - if you want to chat more, send some email to dscott_at_is.net or dscott_at_prubank.com.

--
David Scott
...how can I keep from singing?