Re: Question: Raid vs Mirroring

From: Robbie Bailey <robbieb_at_crl.com>
Date: 5 Feb 1995 07:36:37 -0800

Thomas Koithan (tkoithan_at_winternet.com) wrote:
: BACKGROUND:

: We are currently looking into the hardware needs for our HP T-500 box
: running HPUX Release 9.04. The box will initially serve as an Oracle server
: running the Oracle Financials package but the box will eventually serve as
: a production box as well. We are a 24x7 company, so uptime is important. Our
: initial user base will be about 50 growing up to 400+.

: PROBLEM:

: The problem that we are presently faced with is this: Do we want to go with
: a RAID Level 5 disk array or some form of a disk mirroring system. We plan to
: use file systems vs raw devices and our downtime window is shrinking.

: QUESTION:

: I am curious as to whether anyone has had any experience or preference to which
: system would work best. My primary concern lies in terms of reliability,
: backups, and I/O performance.

: Thanks in advance for any input,

: Tom Koithan, Merrill Corporation. tkoithan_at_winternet.com

I am not current on the T500 raid offerings but the general idea is RAID 1 for complete mirroring of your system, but it eats disk space (1 write to 2 disks). RAID 5 is nice for disk space but tends to be slower on performance and disater recovery can be a fun time when it comes to performance of the disk drive...

Nice box though (*jealousy showing*)
Robbie Bailey Received on Sun Feb 05 1995 - 16:36:37 CET

Original text of this message