Forms4/Windows/Video Drvrs

From: Michael Dunham-Wilkie <uo358_at_freenet.Victoria.BC.CA>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 1995 05:54:40 GMT

I am an Oracle database analyst in a large government organization that runs Forms 4 apps under MS/Windows. We have a large number of 486 client workstations; all are the same brand but there are a variety of models and even within a given model the video cards, and hence the video drivers, are different. We are finding that no matter how careful we are at using "standard" fonts and screen resolutions, we keep developing forms that look fine on the developer's computer but lousy when they are run on another computer. By "lousy" I mean that the text is too large and gets truncated; sometimes the text appears jagged instead of smooth. Sometimes a visual attribute like "gray 30" looks gray and sometimes it looks green or like some dithered hash pattern.

Do other sites have standards for screen resolutions, colours, visual attributes, etc that attempt to solve these sorts of problems? If you do, I'd really appreciate any help you can provide. Please e-mail me directly as I'm going away on a short holiday and postings may have dropped off before I have a chance to read them.

Many thanks,

Mike Dunham-Wilkie Received on Fri Feb 03 1995 - 06:54:40 CET

Original text of this message