Re: Tuning a solaris kernel for Oracle 7.x

From: Philip Chee <philip_at_aleytys.pc.my>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 95 03:33:40 GMT

In our system which was pretuned by Oracle before delivery we have the following in our /etc/system file:

....cut....

forceload: sys/msgsys
forceload: sys/shmsys
forceload: sys/semsys
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=16777216
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=200
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=70

set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=50
set msgsys:msginfo_msgmni=100
....cut....

Hope this helps!

In article <ALF.95Feb1083604_at_lily.cdi.cdc.com> alf_at_orchid.cdi.cdc.com writes:

>I have a cogent question for all the Oracle/Solaris whizards.
>I am beginning to configuring a SunOs 5.3 sun4m sparc for oracle 7.0.
>The installation manual states that I have to modify the following
>(kernel) parameters:
>
>SHMMAX=8388608
>SHMMIN=1
>SHMMNI=100
>SHMSEG=10
>SEMMNS=200
>SEMMNI=70
>SEMMSL=64
>
>However, it does not tell me how.
>I have never reconfigured a Solaris kernel, so far, but I have goten to the
> point
>where I know I have to change the /etc/system file - only, I do not know how,
> and I
>could not find any info in the documentation I have at hand.
>
>Simply sticking the above lines (with set prepended) in the /etc/system file
> makes
>boot complain thet those variable are undefined in the kernel.
>
>Furthermore ipcs gives me the following:
># ipcs -b
>IPC status from <running system> as of Tue Jan 31 15:24:59 1995
>Message Queue facility not in system.
>Shared Memory facility not in system.
>Semaphore facility not in system.
>
>However, sys/shmsys is listed as a loadable module in sysdef -i.
>
>This may or may not have something to do with my attempts to modify
>the system file.
>
>Summarizing:
>
>i) how do I load the shared memory and semaphore things in the kernel
> (at startup, I mean)?
>ii) how do I change the abovementioned variables?
>
>Advanced thanks.
>
>Bye,
> Alessandro Forghieri
>
>--
>Alessandro Forghieri
>Control Data Italy phone: ++39 2 2174253
>Palazzo Bernini Milano 2 fax: ++39 2 26414187
>20090 Segrate (MI), ITALY email: alf_at_orchid.cdi.cdc.com

Philip

--
|Philip Chee: philip_at_aleytys.pc.my| This is a work of fiction.Any resemblance |