Re: The Most FLEXIBLE + POWERFUL Report Writer???

From: Ken Shirey <commdata_at_phoenix.phoenix.net>
Date: 2 Feb 1995 18:16:55 GMT

Try NOT looking at SQL*Reportwriter. Instead, call Oracle and get Reports 2.5 It REALLY COOKS, and is much easier to use than any prior version. It is also the most powerful reportwriter I have run across...

Ken

Ken Shirey,
President

Commercial Data Systems, Inc                 Office: 713.337.7468
12519 D-Bar Drive                            Fax:    409.925.4387
Santa Fe, Texas 77510                        Mail:   commdata_at_phoenix.net

    I'm a CDE2 Ambassador: Feel free to ask questions about ORACLE CDE2

Thomas M. Marin (marin_at_panix.com)
wrote: : I currently work in the IS department of a medium size company.
: We have a 16 gigabyte data base (with about 250 tables) on
: a VAX 6000. The most pressing problem we have is to provide
: reports to our end-users in a timely fashion. We are currently
: writing C programs using the Oracle Call Interface (OCI) routines
: to develop our reports. To provide flexibilty, most of these C
: programs perform the follwing steps:

: step1: select data from several different tables
: step2: from this selected data, create a temporary Oracle table
: step3: then selecting from this temporary table, generate the report
: step4: delete the temporary table

: By creating the temporary table, this allows you to take advantage
: of Oracles's sorting and sub-totaling capability.

: Although, the above mentioned process works, it is very time
: consuming to develop and test each new report. We have looked
: at SQL*ReportWriter and it not flexible or powerful enough for
: out needs. Does anybody know of a very powerful and flexible
: report writer that they are using in their IS department
: that enables them to quickly and easily generate reports for
: their end_users. Any help would be greatly appreciated.