Re: HELP!! ACCESS ODBC ORACLE

From: Pedro Pimentel <ppf_at_fct.unl.pt>
Date: 1 Feb 1995 18:58:12 GMT

In article <3g5rct$3eb_at_ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com (Douglas Hackney) says:

>GQL does not use the JET engine, it connects to remote data sources via
>whatever connectivity layer is available and performs all functions (at
>least those the user wants to) on the server.
>
>Although GQL does support ODBC to connect to whatever you want to use it
>for, a native connection is a far better route to go. If you've got the
>choice, use SQL*NET to get to Oracle, DB Lib to Sybase, etc. ODBC is
>slow, and it doesn't support things you come to expect in a non-brain
>dead connection, such as Count Distinct.
>
>If you're using GQL --> ODBC to connect to PC data sources such as MS
>Access make sure you get the new Microsoft ODBC 2 driver pack just
>released. MS fixed a load of stuff in it, such as Order By (using
>column number, a level 1 ODBC functionality).

  Where can I get GQL ?

  Using it with SQL*Net, can it solve the following problem:

  I'm using Access ---- ODBC --- Sql*Net ---- Oracle 7 (Unix). I would like to use the Unix server generating automaticaly the sequence numbers for the Oracle, just like the Counter type in Access.

  I know how to do this, and tried with Access. It goes fine until I have 10-20 records in the table. After that I get <deleted> entries, and need to requery the all table. According to MS Access manual (I can check the exact page), it should work fine.

  Any help, ideias ?

--
Pedro Pimentel - Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia / Universidade Nova de Lisboa
e-mail: ppf_at_fct.unl.pt