Re: HELP!! ACCESS ODBC ORACLE

From: Douglas Hackney <hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 2 Feb 1995 07:53:14 GMT

In <3golk4$e03_at_host.di.fct.unl.pt> ppf_at_fct.unl.pt (Pedro Pimentel) writes:

>In article <3g5rct$3eb_at_ixnews3.ix.netcom.com>, hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com (Douglas
 Hackney) says:

>>GQL does not use the JET engine, it connects to remote data sources via
>>whatever connectivity layer is available and performs all functions (at
>>least those the user wants to) on the server.
>>
>>Although GQL does support ODBC to connect to whatever you want to use it
>>for, a native connection is a far better route to go. If you've got the
>>choice, use SQL*NET to get to Oracle, DB Lib to Sybase, etc. ODBC is
>>slow, and it doesn't support things you come to expect in a non-brain
>>dead connection, such as Count Distinct.
>>
>>If you're using GQL --> ODBC to connect to PC data sources such as MS
>>Access make sure you get the new Microsoft ODBC 2 driver pack just
>>released. MS fixed a load of stuff in it, such as Order By (using
>>column number, a level 1 ODBC functionality).
>
> Where can I get GQL ?
>
> Using it with SQL*Net, can it solve the following problem:
>
> I'm using Access ---- ODBC --- Sql*Net ---- Oracle 7 (Unix). I would
>like to use the Unix server generating automaticaly the sequence numbers
>for the Oracle, just like the Counter type in Access.
>
> I know how to do this, and tried with Access. It goes fine until I
>have 10-20 records in the table. After that I get <deleted> entries, and
>need to requery the all table. According to MS Access manual (I can check
>the exact page), it should work fine.
>
> Any help, ideias ?
>
>--
>Pedro Pimentel - Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia / Universidade Nova de
 Lisboa
>e-mail: ppf_at_fct.unl.pt
>www: http://ester.fct.unl.pt/pedro1.htm - SL Benfica WWW

Don't have any help with your counter problem, I'm not an MS Access power user by any means.

GQL is available from:
Andyne Computing Ltd.
552 Princess St.
Kingston, Ontario K7L 1C7 Canada
(613)548-4355

It is available in many languages and is a global product. A nice query and reporting tool, with some development capabilities. I've had good luck building systems with it.

Doug Hackney                                  hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com