Re: Mainframe access to ORACLE on UNIX

From: Dave Dargo <ddargo_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1 Feb 1995 06:58:45 GMT

smith117_at_delphi.com writes:

>Tony Bravo <tbrav_at_ctp.com> writes:
>
>>We would like to be able to access a UNIX-based ORACLE RDBMS
>>from an IBM mainframe. I know that ORACLE has various
>>"Transparent Gateways" but I believe these generally work
>>in one direction only (i.e. allowing the UNIX RDBMS to
>>access DB2 for example).
>>
>>Does anyone know if it's possible to write a COBOL program,
>>for example, on the mainframe that could access the ORACLE
>>RDBMS on the UNIX box via DRDA or some other mechanism.
>>

>You are on the leading edge of the power curve, it seems.....
>
>There will be a product generally available in the next couple of months
>called CICS-attach. This Oracle product will allow your CICS applications
>to attach to an O7 database on a nearby server.

CICS*Attach has been production for years, as have been our products that allow access from TSO and batch.

Currently CICS*Attach only supports connections to a local (MVS) database which can re-route your requests. TSO and batch support direct connections to either MVS or non-MVS databases via SQL*Net.

Currently beta is a version of CICA*Attach that allows direct connection to non-MVS as well as MVS databases. This product is expected to be production in a couple of months.

Dave (ddargo_at_us.oracle.com) Received on Wed Feb 01 1995 - 07:58:45 CET

Original text of this message