Re: Cost Vs. Rules Based Optimizers

From: Rich Gaston <75457.515_at_CompuServe.COM>
Date: 26 Jan 1995 00:26:20 GMT

Interesting article regarding the CBO. We're struggling with many of the unpredictabilities of CBO as we prepare to deliver a warehouse app. One bad item - the CBO will be used if at least ONE of the tables referenced in a query has statistics in the data dictionary. The DBA needs to be on top of the statistics issue, or your performance suffers. An application that was tuned on delivery can slowly "go out of tune" as the data changes.
Developers need to be sync with the DBA's ANALYZE schedule. You can spend all night tweaking a query and get it right, only to have it "un-tuned" by a re-ANALYZE on the referenced tables the next day.

I would encourage anyone with additional gotchas to follow up on this post - it's a pretty significant issue.

Rich Gaston, CellularOne Received on Thu Jan 26 1995 - 01:26:20 CET

Original text of this message