Re: CDE2/Report Writer 2.5 v. Oracle Objects API <-> C++, multimedia,

From: Tony Cristiano <tlc_at_qdot.qld.gov.au>
Date: 25 Jan 1995 00:05:18 GMT

Geoff Benn (geoff_at_funhouse.win-uk.net) wrote:
: CDE2/Report Writer 2.5 v. Oracle Objects API <-> C++, multimedia,

: 1. CDE2/Report Writer 2.5

: I would like to find out if Report Writer 2.5 (ie. CDE2) allows for
: the following situation (which we are currently coding round in
: Pro*C) :-

: The user can specify one of a number of reports but then once the
: report has been selected there is further customisation of the
: report layout either at the request of the user or triggered by the
: data, ie. there are a large number of output formats (this project
: has cost millions of pounds already). Initially the team considered
: using Report Writer and balked at the number of separate reports
: they would have to produce, and how it would all look to the user,
: and they went for coding the whole thing in Pro*C.

: We have been using Forms 3 with Oracle 6 on VAX/VMS, but are now
: planning to move to Oracle 7 and more up to date tools for
: development including putting the load of report generation onto
: PCs.

: I understand that CDE2 is just becoming available for Windows 3.1
: via the beta release, I assume that this includes Report Writer 2.5
: ?.

Yes the Beta release does include Report Writer 2.5.

From your explaination above it seems that you need to report on the same set of data in many varied layouts but you would like to have one report to contain these layouts.

I have just completed two reports that behave in a similar fashion.

My report displays a different layout depending on the type of data that the user selects in the parameter form.

In summary, I find that ReportWriter 2.xx.xx is a very flexible tool that allows many possibilities.

Hope this helps.. :-)

  • Tony Cristiano =
  • Analyst Programmer =
  • Queensland Transport (ARMIS Project) =
  • "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment." =