Re: CDE2/Report Writer 2.5 v. Oracle Objects API <-> C++, multimedia,

From: Steven Whatley <swhatle_at_starbase.neosoft.com>
Date: 24 Jan 1995 14:59:54 GMT

Geoff Benn (geoff_at_funhouse.win-uk.net) wrote:
: CDE2/Report Writer 2.5 v. Oracle Objects API <-> C++, multimedia,
: and how to test it all !
: -----------------------------------------------------------------

: Please can anyone help me in any of the following 3 areas :-

: 1. CDE2/Report Writer 2.5

All right, a CDE2 question! I will help where I can. Read below.

: 2. Client-server development, perhaps Oracle Objects API to C++.

I am not much help here.

: 3. Testing tools

Read below.

: I have particular concerns to address, in addition to general
: enquiries, as we start to investigate the new client-server tools
: and techniques as alternatives to our current Forms3/Pro*C/Oracle
: 6 development.

: -------

: 1. CDE2/Report Writer 2.5

: I would like to find out if Report Writer 2.5 (ie. CDE2) allows for
: the following situation (which we are currently coding round in
: Pro*C) :-

: The user can specify one of a number of reports but then once the
: report has been selected there is further customisation of the
: report layout either at the request of the user or triggered by the
: data, ie. there are a large number of output formats (this project
: has cost millions of pounds already). Initially the team considered
: using Report Writer and balked at the number of separate reports
: they would have to produce, and how it would all look to the user,
: and they went for coding the whole thing in Pro*C.

: We have been using Forms 3 with Oracle 6 on VAX/VMS, but are now
: planning to move to Oracle 7 and more up to date tools for
: development including putting the load of report generation onto
: PCs.

Right, ReportWriter 1.x was inadequate. Oracle*Reports 2.5 is very flexable. You can do a lot of coding in PL/SQL. Reports 2.5 has a nice set of triggers like the Forms product. How extensively can the formatting be changed at run-time? I don't know. I have not really had a chance to find out. (Hopefully, that will change soon.) All I can say is take a *good* look at the product and the entire CDE2 Tool set (Forms 4.5, Reports 2.5, Graphics 2.5, etc.).

: I understand that CDE2 is just becoming available for Windows 3.1
: via the beta release, I assume that this includes Report Writer 2.5
: ?.

The Windows production version was releaseda on January 13.

: 2. Oracle Objects API for use by C++

: I understand that Forms 4.5 MAY be a direction to take, but
: generally I have a distruct of 4GLs (ie. along the lines that
: they are great until they don't do what you want), and sympathise
: with the "do it in C++ and stay in control" idea.

I understand your concern. I've been there but, there are a lot of things that Forms 2.5 can do that I would rather let it do. I want to say to the product, "This is I want, give the data, and provide a flexible facility for displaying and processing the data." The CDE2 toolset allows me to do this.

: In general I am interested to find out as much as possible about
: Oracle/client-server developent including :-

: a) the interface/method of use of Oracle Objects, ie. I'd like to
: see a definition of the API if possible. I am currently using a
: database called Polyhedra and SQL embedded in C++ which is
: passed to the Client API of Polyhedra which provides a callback
: mechanism as rows become available, queries (including active
: queries)/transactions complete - is Oracle Objects/Glue used in the
: same way ?

I don't know enough about Objects and Glue.

: b) any interaction between Oracle Objects and CDE2 products (since
: they are both potentially residing together under Windows 3.1).

My understnading is that the CDE2 tools do not need Oracle Objects/Glue. Objects and Glue gives non-Oracle products easier acces to the database. How well do they run together on the same machine at the same tiem? I don't know.

: c) The extensions to the current system will include the ability
: to handle graphics/multimedia.

The CDE2 toolset can do this.

: 3. Testing tools

: I would also be interested to know if there are tools which can
: help with automating the testing of Forms and/or Report Writer
: developed software.

Oracle claims that the CDE2 tools works much better with automated testing tools than the previous versions. There are several good autotesing tools such as QA Partner, TeamTesta, and others. I do not have the address with me but I can look it up and get back with you via email.

: Thank you very much for any help and information you can provide.

You are welcome. I hope that I was able to help.

Later,
Steven Whatley

 _   _  _ _  __ : Steven Whatley              \ The opinions expressed are my
|_  |_|  |  |   : System Analyst/Programmer    \ own.  You may freely copy,
 _| | | _|_ |__ : swhatle_at_starbase.neosoft.com  \_use,_or_ignore_them._______
                : Oracle CDE2 Ambassador: Ask questions about the CDE2 tools!
Scientific Applications International Corporation (An employee-owned company) Received on Tue Jan 24 1995 - 15:59:54 CET

Original text of this message