ORACLE7 Table Ownership problem

From: Mark J. Alberti <malberti_at_pfizer.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 1995 19:01:13 GMT

Hi. I have recently implemented a PowerBuilder 3.0a application where the data resides in Oracle7 on a Sun Sparcserver running Solaris 2.3. The application works fine, but now I'm trying to set up security on Oracle by defining individual user IDs that are attached to Oracle roles. The problem is that I defined my Oracle tables through the PowerBuilder database painter with the Oracle "system" ID. Everything works fine when I sign on with " system" because "system" owns the tables. If I sign on with another authorized ID, the application will not execute any of the SQL statements defined in my datawindows. Oracle is looking for a high level qualifier of " system" because the current user is not the owner of the tables. Is there a way around this problem without adding the "system" qualifier (e.g, system. location) to each table that is referenced in my datawindows? Should I be using Oracle security in this situation or should I implement security on an application level? Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
Mark Received on Tue Jan 24 1995 - 20:01:13 CET

Original text of this message