Re: GUI tools to query remote SQL databases (Oracle, NonStop SQL, etc.)

From: Douglas Hackney <hackneyd_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 24 Jan 1995 06:41:40 GMT

In <3fu771$5pk_at_ixnews2.ix.netcom.com> Jewett_at_ix.netcom.com (Dan Jewett) writes:

>In <3fokv3$f7d_at_abacus.tis.tandy.com> gbray1_at_abacus.tis.tandy.com (Geoff
>Bray) writes:
>

>>I'm looking for a Windows product that will allow me remote access to
>>several different SQL databases (NonStop SQL, Oracle, Informix) either
>>through ODBC or native drivers. I'm interested in something that would
>>allow me to do queries and then do nice formatting (reports, graphs,
 etc)
>>of the results. This would ideally be for end users so the interface
 would
>>need to be relatively simple (i.e. Click on what columns to return and
 easy
>>formulation of the where clause, etc). Any suggestions?
>>

>Geoffrey,
>
>Brio Technology makes a product called BrioQuery which does exactly what
>you are asking about. It is a Windows (and Mac) query, analysis, and
>reporting tool. BrioQuery works with both SQL*Net direct or ODBC. Send
>emal to Sales_at_Brio.com or phone them at (800) 486-2746.
>
>Dan Jewett

Another good product family is sold by Andyne Computing, Ltd. They make a nice visual paradigm Query and Reporting tool called GQL. They also have a multi-dimensional product for DSS call Pablo.

GQL uses an intuitive graphical approach that allows users to see the data structure and very easily point and click their way to asking questions and getting answers. It is easy to develop in, and you can put together fully ad hoc, fully eis (button driven), or hybrid environments with it very quickly. I built one last week for a client in 1.5 hours, soup to nuts.

It also incorporates what they call a "managed query environment", basically a layer that you control that sits between the users and the data. This allows you to control their entire destiny, in terms of what they see, how they see it, etc.

Very powerful connectivity. Hooks up to just about anything that is SQL and/or ODBC compliant, including DB2, Teradata, Oracle, Infomix, Ingress, Sybase, RDB, etc.

Contact: sales_at_strider.andyne.on.ca

        Andyne (800)267-2665

Doug Hackney                                Hackney-D_at_clavin.med.ge.com
'94 RF900R      '93 DR350S      '87 GSX-R11     '72 Norton 750 Commando