Re: Hmmm.... Oracle from vax to alpha

From: Bob King <rking_at_dfw.net>
Date: 20 Jan 1995 10:12:15 GMT

In article <3fhapk$o04_at_peavax.eng.pko.dec.com>, soley_at_trop32.enet.dec.com says...

 Keeffe) writes:

>>I'm about to migrate an entire Oracle 7 system from Vax/VMS 5.4 to
>>Alpha/OpenVMS 6.1. This should be a piece of cake. I'll just recreate the
>>directory structure, and recompile all the pro*c and oracle code.
>>
>>I'll copy over all the .com files, tweak them and hey presto. Wow! I might
>>be able to do a DECnet copy of the database files themselves.

We've been through that 8 times over the past two years, once splitting one database into three. The good part was that the import of the database is usually faster than the export.  Oracle on AXP seems to be stable and fast, but it takes up a lot of memory. Disk I/O gets to be a bottleneck since the CPU is fast enough to cause I/O queues. Buy more disks and lots of memory. As ususal, there are a miriad of import/export problems; seems like when two get fixed, two more show up.
(P.S, in moving from a vax6220 to an axp7610, reports ran 10x faster. The new 2100's are even faster and are relatively inexpensive.

--
Bob King - rking_at_dfw.net
business ph. - (817) 551-8223