Re: Changing ROWID

From: Kim Ng <kimmng_at_pebbles.uswnvg.com>
Date: 5 Jan 1995 01:21:49 GMT

(1) "rowid" actually tells the system where the data is physically

    located. It has the block number, etc. So it will change whenever     ORACLE decides to move stuff around. I have seen a rowid changed     when I inserted a new record. Keep in mind that ORACLE only guarantees     the same rowid within the SAME SQL statement. THAT should tell     you something! (One of my DBA friend told me from one of the     ORACLE classes he attended.)
(2) "row not found" --- it is up to the spec. or your preference.

    If there is a way to track down the record (or lack of), the     users may be happy if you tell them whether it is missing or     it was changed. On the other hand, many users don't care. So,     ask them or decide if it makes sense in your application.     Remember, you can't depend on "rowid".

 (Whatever I say and own are mine, mine and only mine! So, don't you dare   claim they are yours!)
 Kim Ng
 Paradigm Computer Consulting, Inc.
 20611 E Bothell-Everett Hwy SE, Suite 280  Bothell, WA 98012
 U.S.A. Received on Thu Jan 05 1995 - 02:21:49 CET

Original text of this message