Re: Changing ROWID

From: John Blackburn <jb2_at_qdot.qld.gov.au>
Date: 5 Jan 1995 04:16:00 GMT

Daniel K M (danielkm_at_aol.com) wrote:
> We recently had a small controversy around the office about when a ROWID
> will change for a given row. One camp held forth that ROWIDs were
> unreliable, and could possibly change even with a simple update. The
> other camp, pointing to an Oracle DBA manual, indicated that a ROWID
> remains constant "over the lifetime of the row". The second group
> believed that the "lifetime of a row" meant the time from when the row was
> created by an insert, until it was destroyed via a delete.

> Which is right?

Which ever way it does it, you could do your own research and find out:   create a row
  look at its row id
  modify the row
  look at its row id again

--

John Blackburn                                          Phone: +61 7 2534634
jb2_at_qdot.qld.gov.au                                     Fax:   +61 7 8541194