Re: Powersoft to drop Oracle support?

From: Richard Finkelstein <finkel_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 1995 12:00:02

In article <3e35rn$n8n_at_news.csus.edu> sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu (Eric Pierce) writes:
>From: sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu (Eric Pierce)
>Subject: Re: Powersoft to drop Oracle support?
>Date: 31 Dec 1994 08:47:51 GMT

>Richard Finkelstein (finkel_at_interaccess.com) wrote:
>: In article <3dcmj5$v_at_news2.delphi.com> KCDS_at_news.delphi.com (KCDS_at_DELPHI.COM) writes:
>: >From: KCDS_at_news.delphi.com (KCDS_at_DELPHI.COM)
>: >Subject: Powersoft to drop Oracle support?
>: >Date: 22 Dec 1994 15:12:21 -0500
>: >I am rather concerned by this - Oracle users represent something like 30%
>: >of Powersoft's customer base. Are they dropping hints that they are
>: >going to abandon their Oracle customers, or worse still are they going to
>: >try and sell us Sybase (ugh!)?

>: >Or perhaps they think that Oracle's new generation of tools is too
>: >difficult to compete against :-) ..

>... text deleted ...

>: expect the same thing to happen with Powersoft. I also think that Oracle will
>: begin marketing its new Project X product aggressively against Powerbuilder -
>: especially to its Oracle customers.

>: Regards,

>: Rich

>WOW! are you THE Richard Finkelstein?

>Can you give us your brief impression of what Project X is and how
>it would benefit existing Oracle PC/LAN customers?

>Thanks,

>EP

Hi Eric.

Hope you are enjoying your New Years and hope the coming one will be a healthy and prosperous one for you and you family.

I think that Project X will be an important product for the Oracle community because it will fill in that important gap that currently exists for a low-cost, easy to use GUI tool that works closely with the Oracle engine. Project X will be especially well suited for organizations and consultants that are attracted to Oracle's Windows and workgroup versions though I expect Project X will appeal to all types of Oracle customers.

While Project X will not have all of the features that I would like to see in its first release, I believe it will be more than adequate and I expect that the product will mature rapidly enough to make it very competitive with products like PowerBuilder and SQLWindows. I think the key to the success of Project X will be the degree to which it will be integrated with Oracle engine features and the fact that a single vendor will be supporting the completely integrated package.

The way I see the market shaping up, I expect Oracle users will for the most part adopt SQL*Forms (CDE) and Project X (with the lions share going to Project X in terms of units sold), Sybase customers will use PowerBuilder with a certain percentage opting for JAM 6, Uniface, or Enterprise Builder (to name a handful of the second tier tool providers), and Microsoft SQL Server users squirming along with Visual Basic (tough product to use) or Access (not really designed for client/server - more for desktop). IBM and Informix customers are going to have a tough go at it. It is possible that Informix may end up purchasing Gupta and SQLWindows because at this point their tool strategy is by far the weakest of the major players.

Hope this answers your question. I would be interested in knowing what you see ahead for your situation in 1995.

Regards,

Rich Received on Mon Jan 02 1995 - 12:00:02 CET

Original text of this message