Re: Powersoft to drop Oracle support?

From: Jeff Jacobs <jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 7 Jan 1995 20:55:52 GMT

>Hi Eric.
>
>Hope you are enjoying your New Years and hope the coming one will be a healthy
>and prosperous one for you and you family.
>
>I think that Project X will be an important product for the Oracle community
>because it will fill in that important gap that currently exists for a
>low-cost, easy to use GUI tool that works closely with the Oracle engine.
>Project X will be especially well suited for organizations and consultants
>that are attracted to Oracle's Windows and workgroup versions though I expect
>Project X will appeal to all types of Oracle customers.
>
>While Project X will not have all of the features that I would like to see in
>its first release, I believe it will be more than adequate and I expect that
>the product will mature rapidly enough to make it very competitive with
>products like PowerBuilder and SQLWindows. I think the key to the success of
>Project X will be the degree to which it will be integrated with Oracle engine
>features and the fact that a single vendor will be supporting the completely
>integrated package.
>
>The way I see the market shaping up, I expect Oracle users will for the most
>part adopt SQL*Forms (CDE) and Project X (with the lions share going to
>Project X in terms of units sold), Sybase customers will use PowerBuilder with
>a certain percentage opting for JAM 6, Uniface, or Enterprise Builder (to name
>a handful of the second tier tool providers), and Microsoft SQL Server users
>squirming along with Visual Basic (tough product to use) or Access (not really
>designed for client/server - more for desktop). IBM and Informix customers are
>going to have a tough go at it. It is possible that Informix may end up
>purchasing Gupta and SQLWindows because at this point their tool strategy is
>by far the weakest of the major players.
>
>Hope this answers your question. I would be interested in knowing what you see
>ahead for your situation in 1995.
>
>Regards,
>
>Rich

Rich,

You obviously haven't seen the new CDE2 Tools yet!!! Oracle has leapfrogged everybody else with this new toolset. PB, JAM, EB etc are all way behind the power curve, not just on performance and built-in functionality, but now they're behind in UI issues as well.

And, as you point out, Project X does a beautiful job of rounding out Oracle's offerings with a simple to use, yet high performance tool for the VB/Access crowd.

-JJ

 Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
 Oracle CASE Consulting and Training
 951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119
 Belmont, CA 94002
 Voice: 415-571-7092
 FAX: 800-665-1379
 CompuServe: 76702,456
 Internet: jjacobs_at_well.com
 Internet: jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com     Received on Sat Jan 07 1995 - 21:55:52 CET

Original text of this message