Re: Naive view of Oracle on RAID Subsystem?

From: Joe Fulson-Woytek <joefw_at_daacdev1.stx.com>
Date: 29 Dec 1994 15:21:55 GMT

In article <D1Jow9.DHo_at_world.std.com>, lparsons_at_world.std.com (Lee E Parsons) writes:

|> If you really ment that you don't have to worry about
|> recoverability because your running a Raid5 subsystem then I
|> would disagree with you. Depending on just the extra drive
|> to save you in all possible recoveray senarios is an accident
|> waiting to happen.

Could you give some examples (or at least one good one) of where RAID won't save you? I ask because my system's group is pushing to get RAID technology for the database
partly because they claim it will keep the database up even if we lose a drive. I just have this funny feeling that it sounds too easy (much like the original poster on this subject) but I need something concrete about pitfalls and disadvantages or else I'd like to hear more from people who have used Raid and Oracle and have seen significant advantages.

Thanks.

Joe Woytek
Code 902.2
NASA/GSFC
joefw_at_daac.gsfc.nasa.gov Received on Thu Dec 29 1994 - 16:21:55 CET

Original text of this message