Re: Naive view of Oracle on RAID Subsystem?

From: Lee E Parsons <lparsons_at_world.std.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 23:50:32 GMT

Unless I have read this thread incorrectly there are two issues here and we are ignoring one.

The original author has stated that having a RAID5 array has reduced to nothing his need to perform a stringent analysis of his database needs for the purpose of increasing recoverability.

[This is paraphrased of course but is a accurate representation of what was written, if not his intent.]

I could drone on for a while the virtue of database backup and recovery analysis, but I would be preaching to the choir.

Instead I'll ask "What did you mean when you mentioned recoverability in your original question?"

If you really ment that you don't have to worry about recoverability because your running a Raid5 subsystem then I would disagree with you. Depending on just the extra drive to save you in all possible recoveray senarios is an accident waiting to happen.

If you ment something else: "Never Mind"

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons
Systems Oracle DBA	 			lparsons_at_world.std.com