Installation from floppies

From: Youri N. Podchosov <ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 15:14:31 EST

Could anybody please explain what is the correct procedure of installation of separate Oracle product from floppies?

Disposition: the main distribution is on CD ROM; it's installed and the instance is up and running - no questions so far.

Now, I have a couple of products distributed on the sets of floppy disks, and I run Oracle Installer to add them to the system. I select Install/Upgrade/Patch Software Only -> Install Directly From Floppy -> (floppy mount point is /mnt), then an empty Available Products window appears with the hint "To install from floppy disk, insert disk 1 of the product and choose the From... button".

It's OK, I follow the directions, and see the Open File dialog showing no files available in directory /mnt, which is quite natural as far as installer is looking now for something like unix.prd (with the list of available products on this distribution) but files on the diskette are compressed and have their names ending with "_". So what do I do now?

Sure I can uncompress the whole distribution (25 disks!) and then run all installation steps manually, and I even did that once, but this is rather boring and time consuming chore and besides I still believe there's some way to do all that normally using Installer.

I read TFM but it didn't help much - any way ends up eventually with this file selection dialog apparently assuming that I have the distribution ready in some state different from that on floppy.

Any clues would be greatly appreciated. TIA

| Youri N. Podchosov (ynp) *** Davidsohn & Son, Inc. NYC *** 718-234-4140 |
| Internet: ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net CIS: 72723,2202 AOL: ynp, yourip |