Re: Oracle V7 access

From: Lawrence James <James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 08:28:08 GMT

In article <3dej0u$im1_at_ef2007.efhd.ford.com> wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com (Bill Meahan) writes:
>From: wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com (Bill Meahan)
>Subject: Re: Oracle V7 access
>Date: Fri, 23 Dec 94 13:23:40 GMT

>squinn_at_cix.compulink.co.uk ("Simon Quinn") wrote:
>>You need SQLNET v2 or v1.7 on the PC DOS, v2 preferable as this is
>>windows based and the drivers use no conventional memory.

Some real memory is used. In spite of the fact that there is a SQLNet for Windows there are still memory issues. For improved client stability we are trying to avoid multiple connections and frequently making and breaking connections in applications.

>SQL*Net for Windows (separate product from SQL*Net for DOS) is available in both
>V1 and V2 flavors. Neither requires conventional memory. We use V1.1.7.7b on hundreds
>of machines. Changing to SQL*Net V2 is not just a "version upgrade" as there are fundamental
>differences between V1 and V2. Further, if the server is running V1, you CAN'T use V2 on a client.

I have heard you can run both 1.x and 2.x listeners on the same server. Makes it easier to migrate.

>>You need the ODBC v7 driver from ORACLE themselves (it's free), not the
>>old ODBC v6 driver.

>While it is probably preferable, it is not strictly necessary unless you want to take advantage of
>specific features unique to Oracle 7.

We had flaky problems with the 6 driver against 7. Didn't investigate very far just went to the 7 driver.

Lawrence....