Re: Oracle V7 access

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 94 13:23:40 GMT

squinn_at_cix.compulink.co.uk ("Simon Quinn") wrote:
>You need SQLNET v2 or v1.7 on the PC DOS, v2 preferable as this is

>windows based and the drivers use no conventional memory.

SQL*Net for Windows (separate product from SQL*Net for DOS) is available in both V1 and V2 flavors. Neither requires conventional memory. We use V1.1.7.7b on hundreds of machines. Changing to SQL*Net V2 is not just a "version upgrade" as there are fundamental differences between V1 and V2. Further, if the server is running V1, you CAN'T use V2 on a client.

>You need the ODBC v7 driver from ORACLE themselves (it's free), not the
>old ODBC v6 driver.

While it is probably preferable, it is not strictly necessary unless you want to take advantage of specific features unique to Oracle 7.

--
Bill Meahan,  Senior Developer  |        wmeahan_at_ef0424.efhd.ford.com
Electrical & Fuel Handling Division, Ford Motor Company