Re: Multi-Threaded Oracle Clients

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 23 Dec 1994 02:02:14 GMT

Tony_at_santen.demon.co.uk (Tony Rothwell) writes:

>In article <788107366snz_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
> Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk "Jonathan Lewis" writes:
>
>> In article <3cruqk$r0r_at_pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk>
>> apgrace_at_jungle.bt.co.uk "Andrew Grace" writes:
>>
>> > Can an Oracle client run multi-threaded?
>> >
>> > In my client code, I want to connect to the database once, then
>> > execute a number of non-blocking DML actions, with each action running
>> > in its own thread?
>> >
>> > Can the oracle server cope with having more than one concurrent request
>> > from the same login context?

[SNIP]

>Oracle7 Release 7.2 supports non-blocking server calls from the OCI. I
>don't know anymore about it, but I would guess that it is limited to a
>single non-blocking call, for the reasons described by Jonathan.
>
>Maybe someone could confirm this?
>
>Tony.
>Tony Rothwell tony_at_santen.demon.co.uk

Oracle7, Release 7.2 will support one outstanding non-blocking call per connected session. A single process may have as many connected sessions as it would like. You cannot have more than one outstanding non-blocking call on the same connection but if each thread had it's own connection, you would be able to have each thread submitting non-blocking calls to the database concurrently.

Tom Kyte
Oracle Government Received on Fri Dec 23 1994 - 03:02:14 CET

Original text of this message