Re: Poor performance w/ stored procedures

From: JT Patter <jtpatter_at_aol.com>
Date: 22 Dec 1994 22:17:34 -0500

< What we're experiencing is that the performance for people using a
stored
< procedure gets worse as the day goes on. We're eventually forced to shut
< down the database to clear out the SQLAREA in the SGA. Once this is
done,
< the users run fine for a while then things start to slow again.

Doug,

I'm not sure if this will help, but I found a tricky bug with O7 versions prior to 7.1.

If you have a procedure or function which calls another procedure or function which then calls another procedure or function that has 5 or more variables declared, memory will slowly be eaten up because, in this scenerio, Oracle doesn't release the memory allocated for the 5 declared variables (although it will work OK with 4 declared variables).

Try looking for this situation and, if it exists, how much and when it is referenced.

Hope this helps......

J.T. Patterson
Echostar Communications Corp. pattjt_at_echosphere.com Received on Fri Dec 23 1994 - 04:17:34 CET

Original text of this message