Re: OPS for HP-UX

From: Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 21:00:23

In article <3d81t1$5dq_at_ixnews1.ix.netcom.com> ddang_at_ix.netcom.com (David Dang) writes:
>From: ddang_at_ix.netcom.com (David Dang)
>Subject: OPS for HP-UX
>Date: 21 Dec 1994 01:54:41 GMT

>Does anyone have experience with this....

>We are about to create the following environment:
>(1) Two Oracle servers, each -
> (a) HP 9000-800 server with disk mirroring
> (b) Oracle 7.1 with the Oracle Parallel Server (OPS) option
> (c) Oracle Secure Network Services
> (d) HP failover solution to automatically switchover the IP
> address in the event of a system failure
>(2) IBI gateway to IBM mainframes (MVS) (both locally and at
> a remote site) for read/write access to DB/2 and VSAM
>(3) Windows clients running PowerBuilder applications, mostly from field
> field offices

>Any pitfalls, advise?

We have a simmilar configuration. Substitute Sequet for HP and Oracles gateway products for IBI. For failover we trap the connection errors in powerbuilder and have the application re-connect to the other side of the cluster. We are trying to port the host applications down to our client/server platform as fast as posible. ( perhaps faster than sanity would dictate ) We do perform updates to and from host - client/server.

The only pitfall I can see would be if you expected a high volume of transaction through the IBI gateway. I would be concerned if you expected more than a few transactions / miniut. But I am perhaps overly sensitive to the stability of this link. We tried an other host to unix "glue" product befor using Oracle's with less than spectacular results. I have no direct experence with IBI so use the appropreat amout of salt when considering my comments.

Truthfully we have not gotten it all working yet.

By the way, what are you using to backup your systems? And, how are you connectin your remote sites?

APS Received on Wed Dec 21 1994 - 21:00:23 CET

Original text of this message