Re: [Q] Oracle vs. Unify 2000

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 23:00:48 GMT

In article <D0Ir4G.6HK_at_unify.com> dxs_at_Unify.com (Dale Shaver) writes:
>In article <1994Dec8.001301.8186_at_rossinc.com>, joelga_at_rossinc.com (Joel Garry) writes:
>> In article <MIKEE.94Nov29081047_at_sys8.wfc.com> mikee_at_sys8.wfc.com (Mike Eggleston) writes:
>> Any comment from Oracle or Unify lurkers here? :)
>
>Actually, (tongue-in-cheek mode here ;^) ... ACCELL/SQL is the official front-end for Oracle in Character mode, but Unify VISION is the official front-end for Oracle in Graphical modes...

Since this is character mode, could you cut your lines down under 80 characters? Pleeeeeeeeeease?

>> can swap Oracle right into the back end... but I've never actually
>> seen that. I wonder how they handle locking differences...
>
>Yes, that's true. ACCELL/SQL is built such that it is database
>independent, and you are able to swap out U2000 for Oracle without
>redesigning the application.

So you are saying that _every detail_ of locking and concurrency is the same between U2000 and Oracle? Row-level locking? Mutating databases? Mixed locking on single records? Lock promotion? Read consistency? These issues go to the heart of db independence...a very small change in any of these can lead to a large change in app design.

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.