Re: [Q] Oracle vs. Unify 2000

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 00:13:01 GMT

In article <MIKEE.94Nov29081047_at_sys8.wfc.com> mikee_at_sys8.wfc.com (Mike Eggleston) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with both Oracle and Unify 2000 (or
>Unify Accell)? I would like my company to migrate from Unify Accell
>into Oracle, but the company already has licenses for Unify 2000
>(which I don't want to use).

But Accell is the official front end for Oracle on unix...right? Any comment from Oracle or Unify lurkers here? :)

>I see a migration to Oracle in the future since the company is going
>to take a package from a mainframe into Unix and the package uses
>Oracle on Unix for its foundation functionality. I think we should
>only port our other applications once and not twice (for obvious
>reasons), but I need some real 'evidence' to substantiate my claims
>that Oracle is better than Unify.

As far as I've seen, you'll have to come up with the evidence yourself. The only reference I ever saw was AOL. I seem to remember someone from there asking if there were any other sites for Accell/Oracle. Don't know what they found.

One port versus two may be better, maybe not, it depends on more specifics than you've given. If the port is to Accell, and you can swap Oracle right into the back end... but I've never actually seen that. I wonder how they handle locking differences...

>The only problem that I see with moving to Oracle is that I expect it
>to be atleast a little slower than Unify since Oracle is a larger
>database than Unify.

My own experience is all pre-2000, that was MUCH faster than Oracle - at the expense of integrity. Little things like instability in joins with over 5 where clauses, etc. Although you could let the thing work for months with no dba around, unlike Oracle. One place I consulted for didn't have backups for at least 18 months, even though they religiously changed tapes daily. They had a _lot_ of deferred maintenance, but at least they kept going.

>I would really appreciate any comments and I think that the comments
>should be posted for all to read.

Hope somebody says something useful here.

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.