Re: HELP! Packed data and different OS's

From: Lawrence James <James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 11:46:27 GMT

In article <3cqain$253_at_reeve.research.aa.wl.com> crawfom_at_aa.wl.com (Michael Crawford) writes:
>From: crawfom_at_aa.wl.com (Michael Crawford)
>Subject: HELP! Packed data and different OS's
>Date: 15 Dec 1994 20:56:55 GMT

>I have a file that resides on an IBM. It contains a field
>whose type is packed decimal. I cannot change this file,
>or unpack it where it currently resides. I must first FTP
>it to a Unix box. Of course, it cannot be SQL*Loaded
>directly because SQL*Loader cannot handle packed data from
>a different OS than the one under which it is running. Does
>anyone out there have any info that can help? Believe me,
>it's critical! Thanks,

You could unpack it on the MF side, just use display formats in a cobol program in the output file FD, IE PIC 9(9).99, etc. I never saw a MF yet that didn't have a cobol compiler!

PS When you FTP, the character conversion to ASCII is performed on all the data so your packed BCD becomes garbage.

Lawrence....