Re: Oracle, will you PLEASE sell us software?

From: Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 13:34:24

In article <odysscci.33.000704C3_at_teleport.com> odysscci_at_teleport.com (Jim Kennedy) writes:
>From: odysscci_at_teleport.com (Jim Kennedy)
>Subject: Re: Oracle, will you PLEASE sell us software?
>Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 07:01:04

>In article <D0wvCI.L8y_at_lanier.com> bisley_at_lanier.com (Brad Isley) writes:
>>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>>From: bisley_at_lanier.com (Brad Isley)
>>Subject: Oracle, will you PLEASE sell us software?
>>Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 16:05:05 GMT

>>I have been dealing with vendors for over 15 years in this business.
>>I thought I had heard of every kind of vendor problem, until now.

>>Can someone PLEASE explain to me why, after over 2 weeks trying, we
>>cannot get Oracle to take our money and send us a product?

>>There is a phone conversation. The sales staff goes away for a few
>>days with what we think is an order - all the paperwork seems to be
>>in order. This repeats, ad nauseum, for over 2 weeks.

>>Is Oracle making so much money that they don't need our money?

>>WAKE UP! WE WANT TO BUY PRODUCT! PLEASE GET OFF IT AND SELL IT TO US!
>>--
>>Brad Isley - Lanier Worldwide +1 (404) 493-2484 bisley_at_lanier.com

>Brad, Have you tried groveling yet?

>You are not alone. In my prior life I tried to get software from Oracle and
>even a Visa card (a good one) and a willingness to purchase without question
>about price. It seemed to take about 2 months to get it. Why? I do not know.
> On the other hand there were some other vendors (Ingres and XDB ) that seemed
>to take that long also. Usually I would get it about 30 days after I first
>called and then they would not ship some important piece. I would have to
>grovel more and beg and plead and in about 30 more days I would get the rest.

>Try calling customer service (an oxymoron) and politely
>tell them that you have money and you would like to buy their product and that
>you have been trying to. I tried that and it worked.

>Oracle makes a great product; I really like it, but geeze they make it
>difficult to buy a copy!

>Jim Kennedy

You haven't lived until you have tried to get a certain large privately owned electircal utility's procurment department to purchase software from Oracle. It is the verry definition of stress. If you are buying Compaq computers you may be able to buy Oracle from Compaq. The same is true for HP, SUN, Sequent and DEC. You might have more luck. Meanwhile I am still waiting for my Oracle "Sales" Rep to return my call of 3 weeks ago to see if our porcurement department has finally issued the PO for a product I needed over six months ago.

The grass is always greener over the septic tank. (I could tell you the same store re. Sybase.) Received on Sat Dec 17 1994 - 13:34:24 CET

Original text of this message