Re: Forms 3.0 question

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 16 Dec 1994 03:18:57 GMT

whitisr_at_isco.purdue.edu writes:

> When I SELECT info from a table into these fields, every thing
>is OK except when I try to clear or leave the form.
>However, if I instead perform the following commands:
> go_block('block_name'); execute_query;
>I do NOT get the "commit" prompt when leaving the form. Why is there
>a difference between these 2 actions?

That's because a SELECT inserts data into a block which has no records in it, creating one. When you exit, the database knows that this is NOT a record which exists in the database, so it asks if you want to do a commit.

>(Keep in mind that none of the fields in the block are user-updateable!!!).

Irrelevant here, becase your SELECT isn't a -user- function, it's a -program- function. Your users can't update those fields, but FORMS procedures and triggers can.

>How can I prevent the "commit" prompt from popping up when all that was
>done was a "query"??

It may have been a query in the SQL sense, but not in the FORMS sense.

If you really want to avoid updating the database and use a SELECT instead of a FORMS query, do it in a non-database block. Then there's nothing to update!

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_notes.tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.geis.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)