Re: PL/SQL HOST Command Hangs

From: Kevin M Toepke <ktoepke_at_magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>
Date: 14 Dec 1994 23:01:38 GMT

In article <3clmik$ah2_at_netaxs.com>, Stephen Tyson <tyson_at_netaxs.com> wrote:
>Has anyone had the HOST command in SQL*Forms hang? We have a PL/SQL
>procedure that uses the HOST command to call runrep to create a
>report in /tmp. After the HOST command returns a user exit is called to
>do further processing on the temporary file.
>
>Sometimes (but not always), however, the HOST command hangs and the user
>exit is never called. We have not been able to pin down the exact
>circumstances under which the HOST command will hang.
>
>This occurs on Oracle 7.1, Forms 3.0, Menu 5.0 and SunOS 4.1.3.
>
>Suggestions anyone?

Every time the DBAs switched from TCP/IP to Named Pipes every HOST call would hang. Echo $ORACLE_SID to find out if you are using Named Pipes.

e.g., T:host:instance	- TCP/IO
      P:host:instance	- Named Pipes

Hope this helps.

Kevin Toepke Received on Thu Dec 15 1994 - 00:01:38 CET

Original text of this message