Re: ORACLE7 Installation: on SUN_OS Problems...

From: Ian Searle <searlei_at_werple.apana.org.au>
Date: 15 Dec 1994 12:52:16 +1100

In article <3cduik$gqf_at_news.csus.edu>, dglenn_at_indigo.csusb.edu (David Glenn) wrote:
> I have been trying to install SQL*MENU on my spark classic for the third time now
> Every time I do I get the message:
>

> menu5.ins (449) FILE_NOT_FOUND while copying
> %svc%/lib.fortran/proforxt.mk (PERMISION DENIED)
>
> Not only is this preventing me from installing SQL*MENU but I can't even
> install my CASE TOOLS....
>
> Im using ORACLE ver 7.0.16.4
>
> Has anyone had this problem or know a fix or patch for it.. HELP..
>
> Thanks in avance....
>

> --
> David Glenn

I had the same problem trying to install CASE on a SPARC running Solaris 2.3 and ORACLE 7.0.16.6. In my case, the problem seemed to be an incorrect/too restrictive permission on the CD-ROM of the file "proforxt.mk" - which of course you cannot change. I did not want to specifically use SQL*Menu but it seems that is a dependent product for CASE.
I achieved a workaround by performing the following steps:

. installing base products as oracle
. installing SQL*Menu as root
. searching for files under ORACLE_BASE that were owned by root
  and should have been owned by oracle. These files were then   altered to be owned by oracle (and have a group of dba) . installed remaining products (i.e. CASE etc) as oracle

Hope this helps,

Posted for
Barry Hogan.
by

   /\/\     :  Ian Searle
  / / /\    :  Consultant
 / / /  \   :  BHP Information Technology, Melbourne
/ / / /\ \  :  Level 31, Bourke Place, 600 Bourke St, Melbourne
\ \/ / / /  :  Phone    +61-3-609-3158
 \  / / /   :  E-mail (private)  searlei_at_werple.apana.org.au
  \/\/\/    :  E-mail (business)  IAN.I.F.SEARLE_at_msd.bhp.com.au