Re: FORMS30: Trying to get message on message line

From: Dave Boswell <bd860_at_FreeNet.Carleton.CA>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 03:43:21 GMT

In a previous posting, Adam Hoffman (hoffma_at_rpi.edu) writes:
> Hello,
> I am executing a key-nxtblk trigger which does the following:
>
> begin
> next_block;
> clear_block;
> get_sum; <-----this is a procedure to select x rows into the block
> first_record;
> end;
>
> I am trying to get the message "Working..." to appear on the message line
> while the get_sum procedure is executing. I have tried putting the
> command message('Working...') in all spots of this trigger and in
> the procedure but it does'nt seem to work. Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Are you getting the message at some other time during the execution. If you are the solution is to use the messge procedure and then use synchronize. Oracle holds strings in buffers so you won't see the message you want if there is nothing forcing it out. The "good" news is it still works this way in version 4.0.

                             Hope this is some help, Dave Boswell