Re: Problem install Oracle from CDROM for AIX

From: Gary Jones <gmjones_at_tyrell.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 01:53:03 GMT

Henry H. Kwok (wdm2_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I tried to install Oracle 7.0.16 from a cdrom for a RS6000 AIX version
: 3.2.5 last week and had all kind of problem. Oracle said that the cdrom
: is ISO 9660 format with Rock Ridge extension and IBM claims that their
: cdrom does not support Rock Ridge (which allows filename of more than 8
: characters). The result is all the filenames on the cdrom are truncated
: to 8 characters and all suffix are truncated to 3 characters. Even when
: I mount the cdrom on a Sun Solaris, the result are the same. My question
: is, are there any cdrom's or patch for AIX out there that can support
: Rock Ridge extension ? If not, why does Oracle only provide cdrom in
: this format for AIX ? Some of you out there must have installed Oracle
: successfully on an AIX from cdrom, is there anyway around this problem ?
: Thanks for your help.

I had the same problem when I installed Oracle a few months ago. The problem seems to be the script that copies the Oracle files to your hard disk. I believe it this script that truncates the filenames. I called Oracle with this problem and they directed me to a thin manual (I believe it was the manual that explains how to use the Oracle documentation form CDROM). In this manual on page 20 (I think) it described another shell script that that links the full file names (placed in a directory on your hard disk) back to the filenames on the Oracle CDROM. This worked for me. But beware, the directory (I called mine oracle_link) is about 25MB and contains hundreds of linked filenames. Hope this helps. Received on Mon Dec 12 1994 - 02:53:03 CET

Original text of this message