Re: Oracle 7 Documentation

From: Andrew McAllister <mcallister_at_neptune.grad.missouri.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 16:31:00

>Lee E Parsons <lparsons_at_world.std.com> writes:
>
>>How much are is the CD? Maybe I tried to defend them too quick. :-}
>
>The price our purchaing department was given was about $550. If Oracle
>starts to face a bit more competition (Sybase and PowerBuilder might be
>a waking giant!) they might start to realize that having consultants
>WITH DOCS in their corner is a good thing! One good example here is in
>the statisical market: Both SAS and RS/1 sell their docs at very
>reasonable prices to the general public.
>--
>
> michael fanelli
> 72040.2460_at_compuserve.com

I wouldn't pay one penny for the Oracle 7 Documentation on CD-ROM. Try doing a word search on any ORA-XXXXX number error message and see what you get. (I get nothing)

We were ready to return our copy of Oracle 7 (Oracleware 1.0 for Novell's Unixware) when we were sent a full copy of Oracle 7 for SysVR4 Unix with the hardcopy documentation. The Unixware version had nothing but CD-ROM docs. The Unix version of the docs didn't even run, but the windows version ran, barely.

Since then we've been using the paper docs and have had no complaints. If we were to purchase more documentation, it would be on paper and we would use the money we saved (paper docs were quoted at $375) to buy a cart to haul them around.
Andy
Andrew McAllister -- mcallister_at_neptune.grad.missouri.edu Office of Research, University of Missouri-Columbia The views above are not those of my employer. Received on Sun Dec 11 1994 - 16:31:00 CET

Original text of this message