Re: Row locking in ODBC

From: Alastair Newson <anewson_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 09:33:33 GMT

> >I am developing a application for a client

> >using Visual Basic and ODBC and have come

> >across an interesting question.

> >How does ODBC handle record locking.

One dosn't handle row locking with ODBC ! This is one of the weaknesses with ODBC. All the locking features that are part of the VB Data Access objects (DAO) (dynasets + snapshots) are only applicable to VBs native database Jet. When the lock statement locks a 2k page you know it wasn't intended for Oracle !

To quote off the MSDN -

When using and external data engines such as Microsoft SQL Server, Sybase, or Oracle through ODBC, the locking methodology is the responsibility of the remote database engine. Visual Basic acts as a front-end to these database servers and does not control the data sharing aspects of the back-end database engines. In some cases, you can control how the remote server locks data by using back-end-specific SQL statement or administrative options.

There are other restrictions on transactions if you use the data-controls.

Oracle will be making an announcement soon about a product that will ease all of these problems.

regards

Alastair

Alastair Newson             'When the best leader's work is done,
Technical Projects Manager          the people say,
Glaxo Pharms UK Ltd              "We did it ourselves!"'
44-(0)181-990-3023 Received on Fri Dec 09 1994 - 10:33:33 CET

Original text of this message