Re: Forms not supported on Mac RISC

From: Liam Breck <breck_at_twain.ucs.umass.edu>
Date: 7 Dec 1994 22:25:50 -0500

Doug Bitting <dbitting_at_us.oracle.com> wrote:
> > Your statement in your "Statement of direction: Apple Macintosh
> > Platform" lead me to conclude that the reverse of the problem we have now
> > will manifest itself sometime in 95. That is, 68xxx Mac will not be
> > supported and PowerPC Macs will be supported?
>
> Support has been pressing hard to make sure they
> continue to be supported for as long as is necessary. At this point,
> CDE2 is being targeted towards the Power Macintosh native computers.
> However, once Apple releases a Code Fragment Manager for 68K based
> computers, Support hopes that will allow Development to aggressively
> pursue making CDE2 available on 68K based Macs as well.

Blame for Oracle's dilemma falls squarely on Apple's shoulders. Apple developed a shared library API (ASLM) for 68K Macs and then abandoned that in favor of another (CFM) that did not support both platforms right off, only the PPC Macs. This is one of the few things that slipped through the cracks in the transition to the RISC platform.

Things should straighten out in mid '95 when Apple ships CFM for 68K and Codewarrior supports it.

Liam Breck

Data Innovations, Amherst Mass.                   breck_at_external.umass.edu