Re: dbshut

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 00:19:31 GMT

In article <ODDMUND.94Nov30095813_at_fabian.delab.sintef.no> oddmund_at_fabian.delab.sintef.no (Oddmund Johannessen) writes:
>In article <stanbD01sy7.6B9_at_netcom.com> stanb_at_netcom.com (Stan Brown) writes:
>
> e87_andf_at_etek.chalmers.se (Andres Frimodig) writes:
>
> >Does anyone know a reason for dbshut not to work?
> >I always have to shut the db down brutally.
>
>However, I have a suggestion to any Oracle developers listening:
>wouldn't it be better for the dbdhut script to take an optional argument
>so that dbshut could be used more elegantly:
> dbshut # normal shutdown with waits, as default
> dbshut immediate # no waiting, used as part of OS shutdown
> dbshut abort # last resort
> dbshut all # shutdown all DB's incl. those with N in /etc/oratab
> dbshut all immediate # combination of options

My suggestion would be to make immediate the default have have a "nice" option for the one with waits. Even better would be a mechanism like so many OS's have for notifying people and waiting a specified time.

jg

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.