Standard Development Environment Case Studies?

From: Steven Whatley <swhatle_at_starbase.neosoft.com>
Date: 6 Dec 1994 22:27:57 GMT

A group of us developers on a NASA related contract want to standardize the way software development is done on the contract. We are trying to convince our customer that this is a good idea and that it will save them money and man-hours in the long run by doing this.

Currently, some groups use their own software to do devolopment on a per project basis. As a result we have database applications in DataEase, FoxPro, MS-Access, Paradox, Oracle, and who knows what else. Front-ends are written in Oracle Forms 4.0, PowerBuilder, Visual Basic, C++, C and (again) who knows what else.

We want to setup a development environment that will improve the development process. There will be many levels which a project team could buy-in at. The development environment will consist of process documents, guidelines, standards, cookbooks, tool sets, and code libraries.

We are not trying to force ons set of rules for every situation. We do understand the need for some flexibility and that our recommendations may not be suitable for some situations. Our target is multi-platform database application development.

What we need is some case studies on how this approach has increased the quality of the products produced, increased productivity, and saved the customer money mnd man-hours (EPs). Any information to help us persuade our customer will be appreciated. We are open for suggestions as well.

Thanks,
Steven Whatley

 _   _  _ _  __ : Steven Whatley              \ The opinions expressed are my
|_  |_|  |  |   : System Analyst/Programmer    \ own.  You may freely copy,
 _| | | _|_ |__ : swhatle_at_starbase.neosoft.com  \_use,_or_ignore_them._______
Scientific Applications International Corporation (An employee-owned company) Received on Tue Dec 06 1994 - 23:27:57 CET

Original text of this message