Re: "Listener" with 3rd party software?

From: Paul Singer <singerap_at_powergrid.electriciti.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 09:54:45

In article <3bvnl6$av9_at_apakabar.cc.columbia.edu> sb63_at_aloha.cc.columbia.edu (Semyon Basin) writes:
>From: sb63_at_aloha.cc.columbia.edu (Semyon Basin)
>Subject: "Listener" with 3rd party software?
>Date: 5 Dec 1994 18:54:30 GMT

>Hi there!
>Does anyone know if ORACLE ver. 7 "listener" works with SQL*NET only or it's
>possible to use some 3rd party software?
>Thanx.

Technically, Oracle 7 listner process woud work with any software that output the correct network trafic. (by the way, are we talking about version 1 or version 2 of the SQL*Net program. The listner is not part of Oracle 7 but really part of SQL*Net).

However, Oracle has not published the network level protocol. Anyone trying to writ a product to do this would need to reverse engineer Oracle's protocol.

I know of no product other than Oracle's SQL*Net that supports SQL*Net protocols.

Why do you want to do this? Received on Tue Dec 06 1994 - 09:54:45 CET

Original text of this message