Re: question from a new dba

From: Lawrence James <James.Lawrence_at_epamail.epa.gov>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 10:57:49 GMT

In article <1994Nov26.153440.24126_at_uxmail.ust.hk> alan_at_cs.ust.hk (Sze Shun Sum) writes:
>From: alan_at_cs.ust.hk (Sze Shun Sum)
>Subject: question from a new dba
>Date: Sat, 26 Nov 1994 15:34:40 GMT

>I would like to ask some questions:

>1. How could I know what databases are existing in Oracle ?

There is only one database per instance of Oracle. I don't know what other databases you are familiar with. I make the DB2/Oracle comparison for most people and unlike DB2 in which you can have multiple databases per environment in Oracle you can only have one. This is made up for by finer control over storage at the tablespace and table level. Most folks divide groups of tables belonging to different applications into dedicated tablespaces.

Creating multiple instances is fairly operating system specific but your OS specific Oracle documentation has some sections on it. Most people don't recomend it for difference applications rather for different environments like a 'Production' instance and a 'Development' instance, maybe a 'Test' instance.

>2. What is the use of the file "init.ora" under $ORACLEHOME/dbs ?

This controls all the parameters used to initialize the instance (the background processes and the shared global area) of Oracle when it is started.

>3. I have tried to create database named "alanddd" by:
> SQLDBA> startup nomount pfile=init.ora
> ORACLE instance started.
> SQLDBA> connect internal
> Connected.
> SQLDBA> create database alanddd
> 2> controlfile reuse
> 3> ;
> Statement processed.

> What should I do after these ?? I read the Adminstrator's Guide.
> It tells me to startup and shutdown the database system. But I
> found that I have to "disconnect" before I shut it down. And
> after this, when I tried to startup the database system, it gave
> the following error messages:
> SQLDBA> startup
> ORACLE instance started.
> ORA-01103: database name 'ALANDDD' in control file is not 'ORACLE'
> Attempting to shutdown instance........ORACLE instance shut down.

> Now, I could only startup the database system by:
> SQLDBA> startup nomount pfile=init.ora

> What should I do to make the database system works fine as before ??

You need to change the parameter db_name in init.ora to 'ALANDDD' to make it work with your new database. I don't know what you mean by 'before', if you had a previous Oracle database it is likely 'gone' since you reused it's control files. If you have a backup you could recover it. The documentation is fairly clear on the destructive possibilities with the 'create database....' command.

>4. I even now couldn't login sqlplus by:
> dbsvr2%~/dbs > sqlplus
> SQL*Plus: Version 3.0.9.1.2 - Production on Sat Nov 26 23:32:31 1994
> Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1979, 1989. All rights reserved.
> Enter user-name: alan
> Enter password:
> ERROR: ORA-01033: ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress

> What should I do ??

You can't connect because you can't start the database. Change the db_name and it will start. Then you can connect.

>5. Where can I get any documentation about Oracle (like FAQ)
> through internet ??

There are lots of 3rd party books plus the doc set that came with your database. I don't know of any internet stuff other than the FAQ.

>I'm now using Oracle version 6 on a Sparc20 machine.
>Many many many thanks for help.

You need to think about that, Oracle 6 is no longer officially supported by Oracle as of the year end. They will continue to answer questions for a 10% extra on the support fee. You should upgrade to 7.

Unfortunately Oracle is complex to administer, you might try to get some training if your organization intends to do something serious with it. It is not a simple product.

Good Luck, Lawrence......