Re: SQL*Net v2.1

From: Michael P. Vergara <vergara_at_nosc.mil>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 17:09:40 GMT

In article <1994Nov29.140506.12233_at_wvnvms>, Jason Kerr <jkerr_at_wvnvms.wvnet.edu> wrote:
>Hi Oracles......
>Has anyone got v2.1 of SQL*Net up and stable? If so,some imnput on possible
>gotcha's would be great.
>
>Thanks......................................Carl

I have it up on 2 Sequents (Dynix/ptx v2) and a Sun Sparc10 (SunOS 4.1.3). I upgraded from 7.0.16 on the Sequents, and 7.0.12 on the Sun. No surprises. The 7.0.x network configuration tool does not work (and did not work before, either) on the Sequent, so I used manually-built /etc/*.ora files, which work just fine.

The 7.1 NETMAN tool also does not work on the Sequent, so I still cannot use it. It does run on the Sun, but I can blow it up at will, so it's not much good there either. One of my Sequents listens on both TCP/IP and SPX, which the Oracle tools cannot handle. It's not a MultiProtocol Exchange node, I just have users from both types of workstations who need access.

Ahem...low-grade flame on...

It's interesting, but every time I (or someone at my work site) speak with an Oracle representative about networking problems, they INSIST that the problem is caused by the manually-built files. As a test, I did manage to get the 7.0.x network configurator to create files which would work if I did not have the SPX listener. I then compared these files to my manual files. Surprise....except for the SPX listener section, there was no difference. An Oracle rep then told me that...(actual quote)

"The files created by the network configuration tool should be identical. What this tool does is set up the software dependancies that you don't get when configuring by hand."

So then why am I told by Oracle support to use the configurator on the Sun and then copy the files to be used on the Sequent when these 'software dependencies' won't be there? Sigh.

Flame off.

Did I say no surprises? Me?

HTH

Mike Vergara           |   Be good...and you will be lonesome
vergara_at_nosc.mil       |                                       Jimmy Buffett
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of anyone else but me.  So there.