Export & import problems

From: Mr John Shaller <shciosea_at_hk.super.net>
Date: 28 Nov 1994 03:15:53 GMT

Hello Everyone,

I have a problem in dropping rollback segments and tablespaces. I'm running Oracle V6.0.33.1.1 on Ultrix 4.3. Recently I want to do a complete export & import to eliminate data fragmentation.

After I recreate the database, I create a rollback segment SYS_AUX in the system tablespace so that I can create other tablespace. Then I edit the init.ora file to include SYS_AUX and restart ORACLE nomount.

create rollback segment system_aux tablespace system

     storage (initial 1M next 1M pctincrease 0 maxextents 15); rem edit init.ora to add system_aux and restart Oracle

Then I create a tablespace TEMPROLLBACK. I want to exclude any non-sys rollback activity in the system tablespace so that the SYSTEM rollback won't grow in size during import and fill up my system tablespace. So I create a TEMPROLL rollback segment, edit init.ora to exclude SYS_AUX and include TEMPROLL.

 create tablespace temprollback datafile '/oracle/temproll.bck' size

      11M reuse;
 create rollback segment temprollback tablespace temprollback

        storage (initial 2M next 2M pctincrease 0 minextents 5); rem edit init.ora to add temprollback and restart oracle

 Then I restart Oracle and do my import. Everything went fine. After restarting the database normally. I start to do some clean up job. I shutdown ORACLE, edit init.ora to exclude TEMPROLLBACK, include RS1, RS2, RS3 & RS4 which are my original rollaback segments before export/import. I restart Oracle normally. I check that TEMPROLL is available by querying sys.dba_rollback_segs and drop it. I then drop the TEMPROLLBACK tablespace including contents. All command executed without any error. When I check on the tablespaces, I'm in TROUBLE !!!

SQL> select * from sys.dba_tablespaces;

TABLESPACE_NAME                INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT MIN_EXTENTS
------------------------------ -------------- ----------- -----------
MAX_EXTENTS PCT_INCREASE STATUS
----------- ------------ ---------
SYSTEM                                  10240       10240           1
         99           50 ONLINE

TEMPROLLBACK                            10240       10240           1
         99           50 INVALID

PROD                                    10240       10240           1
         99           10 ONLINE

TABLESPACE_NAME                INITIAL_EXTENT NEXT_EXTENT MIN_EXTENTS
------------------------------ -------------- ----------- -----------
MAX_EXTENTS PCT_INCREASE STATUS
----------- ------------ ---------
INDX                                    10240       10240           1
         99           10 ONLINE

TEMP                                    10240       10240           1
         99           10 ONLINE

ROLL                                    10240       10240           1
         99           50 ONLINE

6 rows selected.

SQL> select * from sys.dba_data_files;

FILE_NAME

   FILE_ID TABLESPACE_NAME                     BYTES     BLOCKS STATUS
---------- ------------------------------ ---------- ---------- ---------

/usr/oracle/dbs/istest_system.dbf
1 SYSTEM 33554432 16384 AVAILABLE
/usr/oracle/dbs/PROD.dbf
3 PROD 25165824 12288 AVAILABLE
/usr/oracle/dbs/INDX.dbf
4 INDX 14680064 7168 AVAILABLE

FILE_NAME

   FILE_ID TABLESPACE_NAME                     BYTES     BLOCKS STATUS
---------- ------------------------------ ---------- ---------- ---------

/usr/oracle/dbs/TEMP.dbf
5 TEMP 3145728 1536 AVAILABLE
/usr/oracle/dbs/ROLL.dbf

6 ROLL 8388608 4096 AVAILABLE

SQL> drop tablespace temprollback
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00959: tablespace 'TEMPROLLBACK' does not exist

I have tried this in two ULTRIX machine and get the same error. In one case, I can make the TEMPROLLBACK tablespace back to normal by adding a tablespace file to it. It becomes online again. But when I drop it again. It becomes INVALID again. On another machine, I cannot even add tablespace file to it.

So far the system is running OK. But I really want to get rid of this entry. or more importantly WHY it would happen?

Thanks. Received on Mon Nov 28 1994 - 04:15:53 CET

Original text of this message