Re: SQL*NET = Computer Death

From: Slurton <slurton_at_aol.com>
Date: 27 Nov 1994 21:10:12 -0500

In article <3afph6$gj6_at_news1.digex.net>, james_szewczyk_at_ccnpp.bge.com (Jay Szewczyk) writes:

James,

         it seems that you may need to consider other products. I am a 7.5 year Oracle person but am intelligent enough to know when another company or companies have made a better product. I found a product called Impromptu from Cognos Corporation that is a very good windows based adhoc query tool.

This product has two flavors, an administrator version and a client version.

Unlike the Oracle Data Browser this product allows an administrator to define links between the Oracle tables in your data dictionary and then place all or specific fields from the data dictionary into a big bucket for the end user to access however they want. The administrator can also write reports that are available for end users to run, and finally the administrator can place several limits on the amount of data and type of data that an end user can access. This will prevent any one end user from taxing the system. All reports only access the data via SQL*Net but the processing of sum or other calculations are done on the local client machine.

Let me know if you would like to give you a contact from Cognos so that you can try it out. Don't get me wrong I love the Oracle products but the Data Browser product simple is not there yet.

Sincerly,

Scott A. Lurton
Chief Scientest

Computer Resource Management Inc.
Herndon, Va
USA Received on Mon Nov 28 1994 - 03:10:12 CET

Original text of this message