Re: Is Oracle Compatable with Mac System 7? If not, why not?

From: Rick Ewing <ewing_at_vhp.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 1994 21:25:25 GMT

In article <3au4hv$sfa_at_darkstar.UCSC.EDU>, Mimi Hill <mimihill_at_cats.ucsc.edu> wrote:

> My department is about to have our chart of accounts go system-wide and
> we are going to need to find a way to upload data from FMPro into an
> Oracle based database. I am having a fair amount of trouble getting
> straight answers around here regarding compatablility. If this Oracle
> based software is System 7 compatable, can't I just upload the data
> through Publish/Subscribe? If not, does anybody have any good solutions?
> I do not know how to program in SQL but I am about to take a class.
> Does anyone know if this is a situation where I will need to learn SQL
> and if so, are there any good, easy books out there or tutorials???

We are a university affiliated company with just about all Macs running System 7.5 as clients (over 50). We have Oracle7 Server running on a Mac running A/UX (Oracle v7.015) and another running on our RS/6000 (Oracle v7.1.3). We also have a copy of Oracle 6 for MacOS that currently is no longer being used. We have had no problems hooking the Macs up to either with SQL*NET v1 or v2, as both is available on the client side. As far as front end applications to load data from Filemaker to Oracle, I don't think anyone does it via publish/subscribe (although with a third program it may be possible to do it from Oracle -> Filemaker.

There are a few good front ends to do your Oracle queries and database maintenance including ClearAccess, GQL, and Brioquery (formaly Dataprism). My personal favorite these days is a product called Voyant from a small company called Brossco systems, who are based in Finland. Their product specializes in creating easy charts from complex Oracle data, but it also has painless utilities for loading data into Oracle built into the program. The program costs $495 and is WELL WORTH THE MONEY, especially if you are a newbie to Oracle as I am. The program will also allows you to do simple administration of the database is a far easier fashion than the utility that Oracle provides. The above programs I mentioned can also do this, but usually their admin programs cost about $495. Check it out. I am at home right now and don't have their address or phone number, but if you drop me a message to remind me in a day or so, I can forward you their information.

--Rick Ewing
  Vanderbilt Health Plans
  ewing_at_vhp.vanderbilt.edu Received on Thu Nov 24 1994 - 22:25:25 CET

Original text of this message