Re: Using Lotus Notes a a front end to an Oracle database

From: John Metzger <metzger_at_eskimo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 17:19:00 GMT

Shari Dishop - Network Engineering - Westinghouse Comm. - Baltimore (dishop_at_netops.bwi.wec.com) wrote:
: We have an application that is in the process of being expanded to include
: some of the functions handled by my group which uses an ORACLE 7 database.

: We are looking for suggestions, experiences, comments of methods and
: software that can allow the Notes applications to access the ORACLE tables
: for both reading and writing.

: Thanks for your help.

        Been there, doing that. We're embedding excel & MSquery with precanned queries inside of notes documents. We're also writing Visual Basic macros inside of Excel using ODBC to pull some information out of the Oracle databases for other precanned reports. Notes can only pull one column out of a database, so using DBColumn and Dblookup from inside a notes document is pretty limited. Your best bet is to find tools that are OLE2 compliant and embed them in your Notes forms. You might find a better solution if you don't have to be platform independent (we have to run Notes clients on Mac and Windows boxes)

The biggest obstacle is moving parameters out of Notes into your query tool and formulating your query with those parameters. Notes field exchange has helped that immensly.

John Metzger
Notes Consultant

: Shari Dishop
: Telecommunications Analyst
: Network Engineering
: Westinghouse Communications - Baltimore

: dishop_at_netops.bwi.wec.com

--

/